This is a guest post from my friend Laura Dinstell. She is a fantastic home chef and shares awesome slow-carb and paleo recipes at SlowCarbFoodie.com.
Deviled eggs are always a crowd pleaser at parties (especially if your crowd is Paleo and SlowCarb folks), but sometimes you want to whip up something a bit more interesting for your taste buds.
Enter the “demoned egg” – a signature dish from the Brixton in San Francisco loaded with crab meat and bacon and fresh herbs.
I had these last time I visited San Francisco, and after a bit of searching, I found the recipe at endlesssimmer.com and had to make them on my own.
These are not your everyday hardboiled eggs but something to whip up for a party or special occasion.
- 6 hard boiled eggs ( Check out my original Deviled Egg post to see how I make perfect hard boiled eggs)
- 2 T mayo (Make your own super-healthy and natural mayo with macadamia nut oil)
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper or paprika
- 1 T minced shallots
- 1 T minced celery
- ½ T chopped parsley
- ½ T Dijon mustard
- salt and pepper to taste
- ¼ pound Dungeness crab meat
- 2 T meyer lemon extra virgin olive oil (regular olive oil would work too – you may wish to add a squeeze of lemon)
- 2 T chopped chives
- 2 strips cooked bacon, minced
- Peel and halve eggs, and pop out yolks.
- Make yolks nice and creamy by either pushing through sieve or using a stick blender or potato masher.
- Mix with the mayo, cayenne, shallots, celery, parsley, Dijon, salt and pepper.
- Mix crab, lemon oil and chopped chives together.
- Put the yolk mix through a piping bag and pipe into egg halves. If you don’t have a piping bag, it’s just as easy to load the yolk into a ziplock back and push it all toward one corner. Snip off the corner with scissors and tighten the back of the bag so you can put pressure on it and squeeze it out gently into the egg halves.
- Top with the crab mix and bacon.
That’s it! Pull this puppy out next time you need to take a dish to share or are entertaining guests. Or even if you feel like spoiling yourself with an uber-delicious slow carb or paleo snack!
Wish you could stick even closer to your diet but aren’t sure where to start? Then you should check out SlowCarbFoodie’s new e-book, “10 Slow-Carb Shortcuts Even Tim Ferriss Doesn’t Know About (Yet)”! It’s free when you sign up for their newsletter, which goes out once a month and is also chock full of tips and recipes.
*photo credit endlesssimmer.com