Today marks 6 months since I started following 4HB/SlowCarb/Paleo and personally, I would have to say the results are fantastic!
I started on Dec. 19th at 196.2 lbs – today I am hovering at approximately 169 (+/- 2 pounds on any given day). I’ve had blood work done – although not at baseline and at present but during the time I’ve been following the diet. My doctor noticed the change and congratulated on me on the weight loss, my blood-work, and my general fitness and well-being.
I feel much better physically since starting the diet. Originally I started on the slow-carb diet. I strictly followed the diet, but after about 2 months I started noticing the ill-effects of the legumes (gas, stomach discomfort, bloating, etc…) It got to the point that I would rather not eat than eat the beans. It was during this time that I was reading Mark Sisson’s Primal Blueprint and Loren Cordain’s Paleo Diet – and realized that this was probably something I should switch to.
Since making the switch I haven’t looked back! I will say I am not nearly as strict on Paleo as I was with 4HB – but I am probably 85-90% following the diet. There are some difficulties for me that I would point out:
- varying protein – I tend to rely on ground beef and bacon, and I need to limit the latter to maybe 2x/week and the limit the former to leaner, healthier (read: grass fed) meat.
- cravings for fruit – although fruit is generally allowed on Paleo – it is still my opinion that I need to limit it since I’m still working on losing another 5 pounds of bodyfat
- dressings and condiments – I haven’t gotten myself fully to the point where I can eat salads or burgers (no bun) without using dressings or condiments. I still enjoy these on my foods but I realize the fats and sugar that are in them are not beneficial. While I’ve been better with the dressings by making my own – the condiments have been a tough habit to break. My plan is to start following some recipes to make my own ketchup, mayonaisse, and barbecue sauce
I met many of my original goals – including a 32″ waist (I’ve had to by new clothes for work and shorts for summer – I’ve bought 33’s and 32’s to fit into). I lost basically 30 pounds. While I didn’t do it in 30 days, I also didn’t do much exercise. I’ve changed that recently and have been including lots of weight lifting, bodyweight exercises, sprinting, etc…
My goals going forward now though:
- Continue following Paleo and SlowCarb diet regimens
- Workout doing variety of exercises at minimum 3 times week
- Continue educating myself about the paleo diet, fitness in general, and workout regimens
- Help others to lose weight following a 4HB/Paleo lifestyle
- Break my kids into the paleo diet
If you are new here – I’d like to invite you to “have a look around” – check out the site. In fact I would recommend you start by looking at these posts/pages:
- Flash Diet – this was my original tracking of my food for the first 30 days of slow carb. This proved very beneficial to me. It caused me to think about what I was going to eat (since I knew I would be photographing and posting the pics).
- What are you waiting for?
- Most awesome cheat sheet ever!
- 4HB/Paleo differences
- Bored? Try the (4HB Food) Matrix!
- Some of my favorite recipes
Not to sound like an Oscars award winner – but I would really like to thank Jay at FindingMyFitness and Justin at MyFourHourBodyDiary for their friendship and encouragement online. These guys have been doing the diet, and they’ve been successful and most of all they’ve been supportive of people’s efforts at trying to get healthy. If you haven’t been to their sites before – you need to go check them out.
If you have been following the diet for a while, what have your results been? I’d love to hear about your results! If you are new to the diet, what are your goals? I hope everyone will share in the comments!